This Mushroom Vegan Egg Scramble with functional mushrooms is a healthy, satisfying, and protein-packed vegan breakfast you'll want to make again and again to support your health.
Sauté extra-firm tofu with mushrooms, mushroom powder, bell pepper, shallot, garlic, and spinach for the best vegan scrambled eggs!
This recipe is in partnership with The Functionist.
Start your morning right by making this quick and easy high-protein vegan breakfast! This recipe is a delicious vegan alternative to scrambled eggs; it’s great for any time of the day, not just breakfast!
I don't think it's any secret that I love mushrooms. Check out my Vegan Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms, Wild Mushroom and Leek Risotto, and Asparagus Mushroom Pasta recipes!
Cooking for friends and family is one of my favorite ways to show my love for them; you could say it's my love language. In addition, taking time for meal prep and cooking at home is a form of self-love and self-care. I love how this time helps me incorporate mindfulness into my daily routine.
I recently created a Vegan Southwestern Tofu Scramble, and I am now sharing a variation of this recipe with The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend Supplement. I've been enjoying this versatile mushroom supplement in my morning coffee and breakfast scramble to help nourish my body and support my microbiome.
I wish to boost my overall health whenever possible, which led me to try The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend Supplement. It contains lion's mane, reishi mushroom, Chaga mushrooms, and cordyceps mushrooms, among others. I found it fascinating to learn about the use of mushrooms as functional foods.
What are functional mushrooms?
Thousands of species of mushrooms are considered to be edible or medicinal. Of these, a few handfuls are recognized to be functional.
This means that in addition to having nutritional benefits, they are beneficial in supporting health and well-being by boosting energy, reducing stress levels, and increasing cognitive function.
Functional mushrooms can assist with balancing your energy levels, support digestion, strengthen your immune function, and enhance the skin's natural glow through antioxidant properties, Beta-glucans, polyphenols, and polysaccharides.
Mushrooms contain dietary fiber that helps with healthy digestion and increases beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract, which ultimately supports your immune system.
Mushroom supplement ingredients
I was excited to learn that the supplement contains the power of ten organic mushrooms in a 2.12 oz pack.
One pack has approximately 40 servings, with each serving being one teaspoon (1.5 g). The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend Supplement contains the mycelial biomass and fruiting body of these mushrooms, as written on the package:
Organic Agaricus blazei powder, Organic Antrodia camphorata powder, Organic Chaga Powder, Organic Cordyceps Powder, Organic Pleurotus eryngii (king trumpet) powder, Organic Hericium Erinaceus (lion's mane) powder, Organic Maitake powder, Organic Shiitake powder, Organic Reishi powder, and Organic Turkey tails powder.
This product is third-party verified for quality and safety. The packaging is made from recycled materials. The Functionist is working towards marine biodegradable packaging and gives 1% of annual sales to The Nature Conservancy as a 1% For The Planet Member and is a Pending B Corporation.
I love that this product is USDA Organic, non-GMO verified, gluten-free, vegan, and 100% grown in the USA!
Benefits of functional mushrooms
The benefits of The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend are as follows:
- Balances Blood Sugar: Organic Maitake (Grifola frondosa) helps support gut health, immune function, healthy blood sugar levels, and reduces insulin resistance.
- Energy and Stamina: Organic Cordyceps (Cordyceps militaris) help improve energy, vitality, and endurance by supporting respiration, oxygen delivery, and ATP synthesis.
- Hormonal Balancing: Agaricus Blazei (also known as Himematsutake) is known for its high content of polysaccharide compounds, effects on triglycerides, and cholesterol management.
- Immune Support: Organic Antrodia (Antrodia Camphorata) has been researched for its immune system & liver health support. Organic Turkey Tail (Trametes Versicolor)
- Immune Support and Adaptogen: Organic Reishi (Ganoderma Lucidum) is known as The 'Mushroom of Immortality,' which helps to balance the immune system and assist in adapting to occasional mental and physical stressors.
- Immune Support and Heart Health: Organic Shiitake (Lentinula Edodes) supports liver and cardiovascular health, the immune system, and detoxification.
- Memory and Cognition: Organic Lion's Mane (Hericium Erinaceus) supports cognitive and neurological health, including memory, focus, clarity, and nerve health.
- Super Antioxidant: Organic Chaga (Inototus Obliquus) is the 'King of Medicinal Mushrooms,' containing an array of bioactive compounds with antioxidant and immunity-supporting activities.
Organic King Trumpet (Pleurotus Eryngii) contains high levels of the antioxidant L-Ergothioneine and has been researched for its positive effects on cholesterol management and bone health.
- Extra-firm tofu or firm tofu drained, pressed, and crumbled; you will find this tofu in the refrigerated section. Avoid silken tofu for this recipe. Crumble the tofu with your hands, or use a fork or potato masher.
- Extra-virgin olive oil or a neutral oil with a high smoke point, such as avocado oil or grapeseed oil. This is optional - you may use water instead.
- Bell pepper - for nutrition and color, contains many vitamins and minerals and is a great source of Vitamin C!
- Mushrooms - Baby Bella; you may use white button mushrooms
- Nutritional yeast - for color and umami flavor
- Ground turmeric - for the yellow color and flavor
- Kala namak - black salt with a sulfurous, pungent smell, giving the tofu a taste similar to eggs.
- The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend for its proprietary 10 Mushroom Blend!
- Fresh baby spinach for the small leaves. If you use regular spinach, chop it first.
For another recipe utilizing tofu, try my Tofu Salad Sandwich.
How to make Vegan Mushroom Egg Scramble
I've got you covered if you've been wondering how to make mushroom vegan scrambled eggs with tofu!
Start by getting all the ingredients measured, prepped, and ready since this recipe comes together quickly.
Add the vegetables: Add the shallot, mushrooms, and sea salt, and saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms start browning. Add the bell pepper and garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the vegetables start softening.
Add the crumbled tofu and seasoning mix: nutritional yeast, turmeric, kala namak, ground black pepper, and The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend. Stir to combine.
Cook for another four minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture is a little dry, you may need to add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water. Reduce the heat to medium-low if needed.
Stir in the spinach during the last minute of cooking and remove from heat.
Serve and enjoy! Top with chopped chives (optional).
- Add two to four tablespoons of water if your vegetables and tofu start looking dry while cooking.
- Turmeric stains whatever it comes into contact with; keep this in mind if you're using your favorite wooden spoon to stir.
- If you aren't used to cooking with kala namak or turmeric, you may want to start with smaller portions, such as ¼ teaspoon, and work your way up. Try the amounts I have noted in the recipe if you're adventurous!
Variations and substitutions
- You can stir in a small number of chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme or parsley, at the end.
- Add spices such as chili powder, cumin, or smoked paprika. I would start with ½ teaspoon.
- Add garlic powder or onion powder, or both.
- To make this recipe spicy, add roasted Hatch chiles or other peppers! I suggest adding ¼ cup to ⅓ cup of chopped freshly roasted chiles a few minutes before everything is done.
- Oil-free: You can omit the oil if you prefer; add a small amount of water while the vegetables are cooking.
- Stir in Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips.
How to serve
- Accompany this dish with a side of pan-fried potatoes, Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips, or for brunch, Easy Vegan Banana Oat Pancakes.
- Try it with toast or toasted homemade sourdough.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days in an airtight, covered container. This dish is excellent to make for meal prep.
- Freeze leftovers for up to 2 to 3 months in an airtight, covered container, or a freezer-safe ziplock bag. Let the container thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Reheat by warming the leftover vegan tofu scramble in a pan on the stovetop over low-medium until warmed through, adding a bit of water if needed, so it doesn't dry out, and stick to the pan.
They taste so good; I don't miss eggs! Scrambled tofu doesn't taste like eggs, but the texture is similar.
No, it's optional. I like the flavor they provide, and turmeric adds color. Kala namak adds a flavor reminiscent of eggs.
You don't need to press the tofu since cooking it on the stovetop will remove any excess moisture. If the mixture starts looking dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. You can do this as often as needed.
These mushrooms don't necessarily taste like the mushrooms we usually eat, such as portobello or cremini mushrooms. They have an earthy taste with a slight bitterness.
You can add The Functionist’s Organic Mushroom Supplement to smoothies, coffee, and tea, or soups, stews, and ramen recipes.
I hope you try this healthy and versatile Mushroom Vegan Egg Scramble. I know you are going to LOVE it! This hearty plant-based dish is perfect for any time of day or meal prep. Around here, it's an easy favorite come dinnertime!
I hope you check out The Functionist and all the potential health benefits of their mushroom supplement!
If you make this Mushroom Vegan Egg Scramble, please take a moment to ★★★★★ star-rate it and leave a comment below. You can follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me! Tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
Mushroom Vegan Egg Scramble (w/functional mushrooms)
- 9-inch cast-iron skillet
- wooden spoon
- chef's knife
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil or grapeseed oil; if you prefer, use water instead
- 1 large shallot chopped (approximately ¼ cup)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced, or white button mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 12 oz organic extra-firm tofu drained and rinsed, crumbled, or firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend Dietary Supplement
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon kala namak
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup baby spinach fresh
- Chives chopped, optional
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet or cast-iron pan over medium to medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Add oil and swirl.
- Add the shallot, stir for 30 seconds, then add mushrooms, and sea salt, saute for a few minutes, until the mushrooms just start browning. Add the bell pepper and garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the vegetables start softening.
- Add crumbled tofu, The Functionist Organic Mushroom Blend Dietary Supplement, nutritional yeast, turmeric, kala namak, and ground black pepper. Stir to combine, and cook for another four minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water if the mixture is a little dry.
- Stir in baby spinach during the last minute of cooking. Serve and enjoy! Top with chopped chives (optional).
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.
This egg scramble was so delicious! I can't wait to make it again this weekend!
Thank you, Kayla, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Ooh yes please, I'm in. Love vegan egg scramble and it can only get better with mushrooms.
Thanks for your review, Choclette! I do agree!
This is my kind of breakfast! High-protein, vegan, and beyond delicious! Thank you for this nutritious mushroom vegan egg scramble recipe and for all the facts and benefits of functional mushrooms. So helpful!
Thank you so much for your kind words, Marinela. I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe and found the post helpful!
This egg scramble was delicious! I loved how easy it is to make in the mornings!
Thank you for your review, Michael! We are so glad to hear that this tofu "egg" scramble recipe was a hit in your household!
I love this healthy mushroom scramble! It is so flavorful and perfectly spiced! Thank you, this is my new favorite savory breakfast recipe!
Thank you for your kind words, Chris! I'm so glad to hear this recipe has become a favorite!
Can a vegan egg scramble get any more perfect!? The kala namak is a game changer! And I love the added nutrition and flavor from the mushroom blend. It made such a delicious breakfast!
Thank you so much for your review, Anaiah! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the vegan egg scramble and found it delicious! I am excited to hear that the kala namak was a game changer for you, as well as the mushroom blend!
This is just the perfect recipe to start the day with. Kala namak is so popular in Indian street foods and they add so much of flavor to the scramble.
Thank you for the five-star review of our recipe, Sandhya! I am so glad you enjoyed it. We have found that adding just a little bit of kala namak really brings out the flavor without overpowering anything else in the dish.
What a great idea to add mushroom supplement to scramble to get extra health benefits in the morning!
Thanks so much, Nancy! The mushroom supplement is versatile and we love starting the day with it in this tasty tofu scramble!
Love when I can eat a healthy and filling breakfast! So yummy.
Thank you, Jess, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Vegan food and recipes have come such a long way in such a short amount of time. This mushroom scramble is genius and looks so delicious!
Thank you so much, Lauren! It really is delicious!
Such a wonderful use for mushrooms! Those flavors sound amazing. Definitely the perfect start to the day.
Thanks so much for your review, Tara. I hope you give this recipe a try!
Loaded with flavour! Love making it on the weekend!
Thank you, Wanda!
Lovely recipe! I will surely try this with my husband! Thank you very much for sharing!
Thanks very much, Maria! I'd love to know how it turns out for you!
Incredibly delicious recipe — the perfect breakfast!
Thank you so much for your review, Jacqui! I am glad you enjoyed it!
This vegan egg scramble was so tasty! The functional mushrooms were a great addition and I love all of the amazing benefits they provide. Served this with a side of roasted potatoes for breakfast and the family enjoyed it!
Michelle, thank you for your review and letting us know that the family enjoyed this vegan tofu "egg" scramble. I'm glad to hear it was a hit!
Mushroom scrambles are the best! So tasty and filling too.
They really are! Thank you, Nancy, I'm glad you agree!
I love this recipe! Not only does this tofu egg scramble taste delicious but it has so many great health benefits! I always feel energized after I eat this for breakfast!
Thank you for trying our recipe, Holley! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. This tofu "egg" scramble is a great source of protein and nutrients. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!