Try this delicious, versatile replacement for dairy cream in everything from desserts to savory dishes. And it’s so easy to make – all you need is a high-powered blender, water, and some cashews.
So here’s my recipe for the best vegan homemade cashew cream recipe ever. Enjoy!
Whether in creamy pasta, in my soup, or as a decadent dessert topping, there's something about cream that makes my taste buds happy.
As a new vegan, one of the things I used to miss the most was thick, rich, delicious cream.
The good news is there is a way to create a creamy vegan dish without using any dairy products.
All you need is two simple ingredients and a high-speed blender. I'll show you how to make cashew cream from scratch in this recipe. So get ready to enjoy some seriously delicious - and dairy-free - goodness!
Cashew cream tastes neutral and rich. It's the perfect substitute for heavy cream as a vegan alternative for cream-based sauces in vegan cooking and is terrific in all sorts of recipes.
To add creaminess and richness, stir a tablespoon or two of this cashew cream into this vegan horseradish aioli or add it to this vegan asparagus mushroom pasta. This cashew cream is perfect in this vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta!
Are cashews good for you?
Cashews are rich in fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fats while low in sugar. In addition, they are a good source of copper, magnesium, and manganese. These nutrients are essential for brain health, bone health, energy production, and immunity.
Here are the essential ingredients you need to make this simple recipe:
- Raw cashew pieces or halves - I get raw unsalted cashews from the grocery store or buy them in bulk online.
See the recipe card for quantities of these basic ingredients.
How to make this cashew cream recipe
It's simple to make this delicious dairy-free alternative. Here's how to do it, even if it is your first time:
Place the cashew pieces in a medium bowl.
Pour boiling water on the cashews and let soak for 2 hours on the counter. If soaking for longer than 2 hours, put them in the fridge.
You can do an overnight soak. In this case, you don't have to boil the water first. Pour water on them, cover them, and place them in the fridge. The next day, continue with the next steps to make the cashew cream.
Drain the soaked cashew pieces and rinse with fresh cool water.
Place drained cashews and water in a high-speed blender.
Start at a low speed and increase to the highest speed. Blend for 90 seconds.
Place in airtight containers and store for up to 1 week.
Add a bit of water if you'd like it to be thinner. It will thicken a bit in the fridge.
Hint: Scrape the sides of your blender after pouring it to get any residual cashew cream goodness.
Here are some variations you can try:
- Cashew crema- add lime juice for a tangy flavor and salt; cilantro is optional.
- Savory cashew cream - to make an alfredo sauce, add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Spicy - add chili powder, hot sauce, or canned or roasted Hatch chiles.
- Add fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
Here is what you need to make the cashew cream:
- A good blender - I rely on the Vitamix I've had for many years.
- Medium bowl
- Glass containers for storage - I love these mini tulip jelly jars.
Once it's blended together with its ingredients, the leftover cashew cream will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
How to serve
Creamy cashew cream is a great alternative to dairy creamers and can be used as coffee creamer, in cocktails, sauces, or anywhere you would normally use cream.
When it comes time to use it, take out what you need and mix it with your other ingredients for your favorite recipes, such as mashed potatoes, salads, risotto, pasta, etc.
It's perfect for making a creamy pasta sauce with a pinch of salt - reserve some pasta water to thin the cashew cream when you toss it with the pasta.
Or stir it into mashed potatoes!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ★★★★★ below. I love to see your amazing creations on Instagram; make sure to tag me @resplendentkitchen and #resplendentkitchenrecipes. To get more ideas, follow me on Facebook and Pinterest.
Cashew Cream Recipe
- High-speed blender
- Medium bowl
- Glass containers
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 ¾ cups water divided
- Pour 2 cups hot water over cashew pieces in a medium bowl. Let rest for at least 2 hours on counter. If soaking for longer, refrigerate.
- Drain cashew pieces and rinse with fresh water.
- Place drained cashews and ¾ cup water in high speed blender. Start at low speed and increase to highest speed. Blend for 90 seconds.
- Pour the cashew cream into airtight containers, scraping the sides of the blender, and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.