Vegan Cashew Cream is a delicious, versatile replacement for dairy cream that can be used in everything from desserts to savory dishes.
And it’s so easy to make – all you need is a high-powered blender, water, and some cashews. Here’s my recipe for the best vegan homemade Cashew Cream recipe!
Whether in creamy pasta, soup, or a decadent dessert topping, there's just something about cream that can enhance and make a dish richer.
The good news is there is a way to create a creamy vegan dish without using any dairy products.
You only need two simple ingredients and a powerful blender for the best results.
To add creaminess and richness, stir a tablespoon or two of this cashew cream into this vegan horseradish aioli or add it to this vegan asparagus mushroom pasta. It's the perfect substitute for heavy cream in your favorite recipes.
What does vegan cashew cream taste like?
Cashew cream tastes neutral and rich. It's the perfect substitute for heavy cream as a vegan alternative for cream-based sauces in vegan cooking and is wonderful in all sorts of recipes.
Creamy cashew cream is an excellent alternative to dairy creamers and can be used in coffee, cocktails, sauces, or anywhere you would typically use a non-dairy creamer.
Are cashews good for you?
Cashews are rich in fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fats while low in sugar. In addition, they are a good source of copper, magnesium, and manganese. These nutrients are essential for brain health, bone health, energy production, and immunity.
Here are the basic ingredients you need to make this simple cashew cream sauce:
- Raw cashews in pieces or halves - I get raw unsalted cashews from the grocery store or buy them in bulk online.
- Water - filtered water is ideal.
See the recipe card for quantities of these basic ingredients.
How to Make This Easy Homemade Vegan Cashew Cream Recipe
It's simple to make this delicious dairy-free alternative free of animal products. Here's how to make this plant-based cream, even if it is your first time:
Place cashews in a medium bowl.
Pour boiling water on the cashews and let soak for 2 hours on the counter. If soaking for longer than 2 hours, put them in the fridge.
You can do an overnight soak. In this case, you don't have to boil the water first. Pour water, cover, and place them in the fridge. The next day, continue with the following steps to make the cashew cream.
Drain the soaked cashews and rinse with fresh, cool water.
Place drained cashews and water in a high-speed blender.
Start at a low speed and increase to the highest speed. Blend for 90 seconds until you reach the desired consistency and creamy texture.
Place in airtight containers and store for up to 1 week.
Add a bit of water if you'd like it to be thinner. It will thicken a bit in the fridge.
Hint: Scrape the sides of your blender for best results.
Here are some variations you can try when making this basic cashew cream; you can try different flavor variations of the basic recipe.
- Cashew crema - add lime juice for a tangy flavor and salt; cilantro is optional.
- Savory cashew cream - add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to make an alfredo sauce. Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Spicy - add chili powder, hot sauce, or canned or roasted Hatch chiles.
- Add fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, or cilantro.
- Sweet cashew cream - add maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Add lemon zest or fresh lemon juice for acidity and a pinch of sea salt for flavor.
Here is what you need to make the cashew cream:
- A high powered blender - I rely on the Vitamix I've had for many years.
- Medium bowl
- Glass containers for storage - I love these mini tulip jelly jars.
Once blended, the leftover cashew cream will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
How to serve vegan cashew cream
- Creamy cashew cream is a great substitute to dairy creamers and can be used in place of heavy whipping cream, as a vegan coffee creamer, in cocktails, sauces, or anywhere you would normally use cream in your favorite dishes.
- When it comes time to use it, take out what you need and mix it with your other ingredients for your favorite recipes, such as in mashed potatoes, risotto, curries, pasta, as a topping for roasted sweet potatoes, grain bowls, etc.
- Add it to your salad dressing to make a creamy dressing.
- It's perfect for making a creamy pasta sauce with a pinch of salt - reserve some pasta water to thin the cashew cream when you toss it with the pasta. Add a cup of vegan cashew cream to a batch of marinara sauce.
- Or stir it into mashed potatoes! It's the perfect replacement for any amount of heavy cream.
We hope this cashew cream recipe will be a delicious addition to your kitchen! This vegan option is light and creamy but also very versatile and a great alternative to traditional cream.
Make this cashew cream lighter or thicker by adjusting the ratio of cashews to water. Want it to be more like cashew milk? Add more water.
Feel free to experiment with additional ingredients to make this recipe your own. The great thing about this recipe is that it comes together quickly and requires minimal effort and is easily customizable.
So if you want to switch up your cooking routine with some plant-based goodness, try this vegan cashew cream recipe!
If you make this recipe, please take a moment to ★★★★★ star-rate it and leave a comment below. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook, and share your creation with me! Tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
How to Make Easy Homemade Vegan Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 ¾ cups water divided
- Pour 2 cups hot water over cashew pieces in a medium bowl. Let rest for at least 2 hours on counter. If soaking for longer, refrigerate.1 cup raw cashew pieces, 2 ¾ cups water
- Drain cashew pieces and rinse with fresh water.
- Place drained cashews and ¾ cup water in high speed blender. Start at low speed and increase to highest speed. Blend for 90 seconds.
- Pour the cashew cream into airtight containers, scraping the sides of the blender, and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.