Look no further than my creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup with Vegetables for the ultimate weeknight dinner! Simmer potato dumplings in a comforting vegetable broth enriched with savory herbs and just enough garlic to taste incredible.
This recipe is sure to be an instant classic that you can count on any time you need something delicious and satisfying ready quickly.
This vegetable gnocchi soup is perfect for soup season on a busy weeknight. This comforting soup will warm you with its rich flavors, soft pillowy gnocchi, and cooked fresh vegetables when the temperature drops.
It's the ultimate comfort food!
I wanted to create a creamy vegan soup with a touch of spice with dumplings inspired by the Olive Garden gnocchi soup. This delicious vegan soup pairs well with a loaf of crusty bread (I love homemade sourdough) or these fluffy vegan buns.
Below are the simple ingredients you need to make this creamy vegan gnocchi soup.
- Coconut oil - This delicious oil complements the coconut milk in this soup.
- Onion - I used a yellow onion. Feel free to use red onion or white onion.
- Carrots - I used medium carrots cut into rounds after washing and peeling them.
- Celery - chop or slice the celery.
- Garlic - several fresh garlic cloves for flavor.
- Dried arbol chile - I find this online or at the local Latin market (I store them in the freezer); you can use ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes instead for a touch of heat.
- Seasoning - I used dried thyme, oregano, and poultry seasoning to develop flavor and add depth of flavor.
- Vegetable broth - I used 1.5 tablespoons of seasoned vegetable base mixed with 4 cups of hot water.
- White beans - I used canned cannellini beans and rinsed them before adding them to the soup to add creaminess.
- Full-fat coconut milk - to add body and creaminess to the soup.
- Vegan gnocchi - I love these DeLallo gluten-free mini gnocchi - they're delicious and just the right size for this soup. You can use any potato gnocchi you like or use homemade gnocchi. If you use larger gnocchi, you may need a few extra minutes of cooking.
- Fresh kale - stemmed and chopped to add nutrition and fiber.
- Fresh lemon juice - to balance the flavors with acidity.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make this creamy vegan gnocchi soup with vegetables
Don't worry if you're not an experienced chef; it's so easy to prepare that even a novice cook can whip up this tasty one-pot meal!
Heat a large pot over medium-high or medium heat for up to 3 minutes and add coconut oil.
Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, chopped arbol chile, and a pinch of sea salt to the pot. Stir to distribute vegetables evenly.
Cook for up to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dried thyme, oregano, and poultry seasoning. Stir frequently for one minute.
Add vegetable broth and cannellini beans, and bring them to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add coconut milk and mini gnocchi. Cook until gnocchi rise to the top of the soup, approximately 3 - 5 minutes. Then stir in kale until wilted, for 1 - 2 minutes.
If you use regular gnocchi, they may be ready in 5 - 8 minutes.
Stir in lemon juice, taste, and adjust seasoning before serving.
Hint: Before adding the gnocchi to the soup, make sure that the soup is bubbling so that the gnocchi will cook in a few minutes.
- Cannellini beans - instead of cannellini beans, you can use other white beans such as great northern beans or garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
- Coconut oil - use olive oil instead.
- Kale - use spinach instead.
- Gluten-free - use gluten-free gnocchi as I did, or make your own.
- Coconut milk - replace with another unsweetened plant milk you enjoy, such as soy milk, oat milk, or add cashew cream. Or feel free to omit it.
- Vegetable broth - use vegan un-chicken broth instead.
- Seasoning - instead of dried thyme and oregano, use a tablespoon each of fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano.
- Gnocchi - replace gnocchi with ½-inch chunks of potato; you will need a few extra minutes of cooking time. Check the potato for doneness with a small sharp knife.
Here are some variations you can try:
- Spicy - add more chili pepper flakes or crushed Calabrian red chile paste.
- Seasoning - instead of dried thyme and oregano, use Italian seasoning instead.
- Kid-friendly - omit the arbol chile or crushed red pepper flakes. Omit the kale.
- Cheesy - add a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast, which you can find at the grocery store. It is not an active yeast.
- Vegan sausage - slice it or crumble it and cook it before adding it to the soup.
Here is the equipment you need to make this creamy gnocchi soup:
- Large pot
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Wooden spoon
Once this creamy vegetarian gnocchi soup has cooled on the counter, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 - 4 days; freeze for up to 3 months.
Make sure to cook the gnocchi only until it rises to the top. As soon as you see some rise to the surface of the soup, remove the soup from the heat, and serve.
Vegan gnocchi is usually made with two main ingredients: potatoes and flour.
Add the gnocchi several minutes before you intend to serve the soup. Make sure to cook the gnocchi just until it is done. If you overcook the gnocchi, then the texture will be mushy. Once the gnocchi starts floating to the top of your soup, it is ready.
More soup recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this creamy gnocchi soup:
If you make this recipe, please take a moment to ★★★★★ star-rate it and leave a comment below. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook, and share your creation with me! Tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup with Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled, and slice
- 2 large celery stalks chopped
- 6 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 1 dried arbol chile, chopped or ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth I used 1.5 tablespoons seasoned vegetable base mixed with 4 cups hot water
- 2 cups cannellini beans or 1 15-oz can cannellini beans or garbanzo beans
- 1 13.5-oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 12-oz package of vegan gluten-free mini gnocchi or regular gnocchi (not gluten-free)
- 2 cups fresh kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for 3 minutes, add coconut oil.1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic, chopped arbol chile, and a pinch of sea salt to the pot. Stir to evenly distribute vegetables.1 medium yellow onion, 4 medium carrots, 2 large celery stalks, 6 cloves garlic, 1 dried arbol chile, chopped, Pinch sea salt
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dried thyme, dried oregano, and poultry seasoning. Stir frequently for one minute.2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Add vegetable broth and cannellini beans, and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.4 cups vegetable broth, 2 cups cannellini beans
- Add coconut milk and mini gnocchi. Cook until gnocchi rise to the top of the soup, approximately 3 - 5 minutes. Then stir in kale until wilted, for 1 - 2 minutes.1 13.5-oz can full fat coconut milk, 1 12-oz package of vegan gluten-free mini gnocchi, 2 cups fresh kale
- Stir in lemon juice before serving. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.1 tablespoon lemon juice
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.