Are you looking for a vegan dish that is both healthy and delicious? Then look no further than this Vegan Southwest Salad with Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing! The salad is made with fresh romaine lettuce, black beans, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, radishes, red onion, and avocado. It is dressed with a creamy cashew dressing that has a kick of heat from the jalapeño peppers.
Disclosure: I received the cookbook Vegan Yack Attack's Plant-Based Meal Prep for review from Fair Winds Press. All reviews and opinions expressed in this post are my personal view.
This vegan Southwest Salad with Cilantro Jalapeno Cashew Dressing is the perfect recipe for spring, summer, or any time of year. It's crispy, fresh, and hearty enough for dinner. Prepare it ahead of time and then top it off with a creamy cashew-based dressing with a hint of spice!
After the holidays, I looked forward to getting back on track with planning and eating healthy meals like this Southwest Quinoa Salad. I was thrilled to receive a free copy of Vegan Yack Attack's Plant-Based Meal Prep for review.
I will be sharing the recipe for Southwest Salad with Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing. Today's recipe is a healthy salad with fresh vegetables and is perfect for meal prep, a main dish, quick lunches during a busy week, or a side dish.
About Plant-Based Meal Prep
If you have been wondering how to incorporate nutritious and delicious vegan meals into your life, Jackie Sobon's third cookbook, Vegan Yack Attack's Plant-Based Meal Prep, is for you! This cookbook is an excellent start for those who want to begin meal prepping or for those who wish to start eating plant-based.
I wish I had a cookbook like this as a resource when I first attempted going vegan. I have been vegan for nearly four years. However, sometimes it can be a struggle to meal plan and put together a weekly menu. The cookbook is well thought out and helps make meal planning a breeze. Jackie's new cookbook has quickly become a favorite!
About plant-based meal prep
The idea behind meal prepping is that you prepare the food you are going to eat during the week in a block of time, usually during the weekend. The time you set aside during the weekend will be worth it since you will have meals prepared during the week and save time. It helps to set aside a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon to do this.
The Plant-Based Meal Prep Cookbook by Jackie Sobon makes it simple for you by guiding you with easy to follow, make-ahead recipes. She includes nutrition information, menus, helpful tips, well-planned grocery lists, and equipment advice. In this cookbook, you will see that most of the recipes have an accompanying photograph. I love to see how the final dish is supposed to look.
Easy to adapt to your needs
If you are on the go or have long workdays, this cookbook can help. This cookbook helps you to decide what to make at home so that you can take it with you on the road. Jackie gives suggestions to customize the plan according to your preferences or nutritional needs.
In Vegan Yack Attack's Plant-Based Meal Prep, Jackie Sobon has put together 14 weekly meal plans and over 100 recipes. You can start the meal plans any day of the week you wish. With each menu, you'll get three main courses, as well as two snacks, which will provide enough food during the week.
You will find great ideas for breakfast on the go, work lunches, and dinner. There is something for everyone, whether you need:
- meal plans for one person
- meal plans for families
- multipurpose meals
- higher protein meals
- kid-friendly meals
Other recipes in the cookbook
As I reviewed the book, I found lots of recipes I wanted to try like the Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Bars, which are perfect for snacks or on the go. I made these bars right away since I had all of the ingredients. They were no-bake, easy to make, and they were delicious. If you love chocolate and peanut butter, this recipe is for you!
I just put together the Blueberry Smoothie Jars, which will make breakfast a breeze. I am looking forward to also making these other recipes:
- Springtime Sheet Pan Polenta Pizza
- Jackfruit Tacos with Black Beans
- Chipotle Tempeh Kale Bowls
- Hashbrown-Crusted Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet
- Penne Bolognese
- Blood Orange Freezer Waffles with Berry Compote
About this Southwest Salad
I love having a vibrant salad ready to go for a healthy lunch, so I decided to make the Southwest Salad on page 31 with the Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing on page 161.
This delicious and vibrant colorful salad with southwest flavors is satisfying with its crunchy texture. The creamy dressing is spicy and tangy! The beautiful green dressing is easy to make in a blender.
The fresh taste of this southwestern salad is perfect for the summer months!
This new recipe is:
- ready in less than 30 minutes
- no sugar added
Here's what you will need to make this vegan southwest salad recipe:
- five 30-oz storage containers to make this recipe.
- cutting board
- chef's knife
These are the ingredients you need to make this vegan salad, which you can find at the local grocery store:
- romaine lettuce for fresh greens; you can also try spring mix
- black beans
- yellow and orange bell peppers (or red bell pepper), grape tomatoes, red onion, radishes
- onion powder, cayenne pepper
These are the ingredients you need to make the spicy dressing:
- raw cashews
- fresh cilantro
- lime juice plus lime zest
- fresh jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
How to make Southwest Salad
- Set out five 30-ounce glass storage containers
- Divide the lettuce evenly among the containers. Top with black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onion.
- Then top with radishes and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of each salad (or divide into five small containers or jars).
How to make the Cilantro Jalapeno Cashew Dressing
- Mix the cashews, water, cilantro, lime juice and zest, jalapeño, salt, and seasonings in a blender until the mixture is as smooth as possible. Let it rest in the pitcher for five minutes.
- Blend again to further break up the cashews.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator.
Store the salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to six days. The dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
This salad is great to make ahead to enjoy the next day or for several days after. Be sure to store the dressing separately.
The recipe is reprinted with permission from Jackie Sobon and Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. © 2020. You can get a copy of the cookbook here.
If you make this Southwest Salad with Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing, let me know what you think by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. You can follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me! Just tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
Vegan Southwest Salad with Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing
- 30-oz storage containers
- 1.5 pounds (680 g) romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 15-oz (425 g) cans low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 ¼ cups (188 g) grape tomatoes
- ⅔ cup (110 g) thinly sliced red onion
- ⅔ cup (95 g) sliced radishes
- ⅔ cup (60 g) sliced avocado
- 1 batch Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing
Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing
- ¾ cup (103 g) raw cashews
- ¾ cup (175 ml) water
- ½ cup (8 g) firmly packed fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lime juice plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 1 fresh jalapeño stemmed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Set out five roughly 30-ounce (850 g) storage containers
- Divide the lettuce evenly among the containers, then top with black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onion.
- Top each serving with radishes and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of each salad (or divide into five smallcontainers or jars). Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing
- Puree cashews, water, cilantro, lime juice and zest, jalapeño, onion powder, salt, and cayenne in a blender until the mixture is as smooth as possible, then let it rest in the pitcher for 5 minutes.
- Blend again to further break up the cashews.
- Season with additional salt to taste.
- Transfer to a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.
Jackie of VYA
Love the bowls and beautiful photos, Emily!
Thank you so much, Jackie!
Cashews and jalapeño… now that’s an interesting combo. I’m definitely going to have to try it 🙂
Hi Natalia, thanks for the review! I'm so glad you're going to give this recipe a try and that it sounds like an interesting combination. Cashews are such a versatile ingredient and we love using them in different ways. I hope you enjoy it!
Yum! I love this Southwest Salad! I think it has amazing crunch and bite to it and it is so delicious! I could eat this every day for lunch!
Thank you for your review, Kayla. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it and found it satisfying!
This made a really tasty lunch! Great recipe and I'm in love with the cashew jalapeno dressing. It was great on the salad but I like it as a dip with chips, too! 🙂
Thanks so much for your review Holly! I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe . The cashew jalapeno dressing is one of my favorites too - it's really versatile, perfect on salads or as a dip for chips!
This refreshing southwest salad is amazing! It perfectly pairs with this simple cilantro jalapeno cashew dressing. It's light, nourishing, full of plant-based energy. I'm adding it to my clean-eating menu right away. Mmm, so delicious, love it!
Marinela, thank you for your wonderful review! I'm so glad to hear that the recipe is a hit with you!
Wow, that cilantro jalapeño cashew dressing sounds delicious! Such a beautiful salad. Super excited to try out this recipe and check out Vegan Yack Attack's Plant-Based Meal Prep book. I need to get in the habit of prepping meals ahead of time again!
Thank you for your comment, Anaiah. The cookbook is such a great collection of recipes!
Thanks so much, Valarie, for your kind words!
What a delicious salad!! The combo of ingredients and delicious salad dressing makes it a winner!!
Thank you for trying this recipe, Liz! We're glad to hear you enjoyed it.
This salad was delicious and that cilantro salad dressing is what dreams are made of. I'm putting that stuff on everything!
Thank you for trying this recipe, Emily! I'm so glad you loved the cilantro salad dressing. It's definitely one of our favorites too!
What a delicious salad recipe, we loved this recipe and will make it often!
Thank you, Claudia, for trying out our recipe and leaving such a positive review. We're so happy to hear that you loved it and will make it often!
This is such a great salad recipe, so tasty and easy to make!
Thank you, Caitlin! We're so glad you enjoyed this recipe.
I love everything about this delicious, healthy salad! The spicy dressing is amazing and I can't wait to make it again!
Thank you for trying this recipe Colleen, and for leaving such a positive review! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I hope you'll make it again soon!
I really love all the flavours in this salad and that dressing is incredible!
Thank you for your review, Amy! I am happy you love it!
Thanks for your comment, Neva! A simple Google search will lead to more information that deals with the same subjects. Thanks for stopping by!