This creamy and zesty Vegan Horseradish Aioli is delicious and easy to make! Make this versatile dip in five minutes with vegan mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, lime juice, garlic, and apple cider vinegar.
Enjoy this creamy vegan horseradish sauce with homemade pretzel bites, burgers, sandwiches, and more!
What led me to create this recipe? First, I wanted to make a vegan version of aioli. The original recipe is traditionally made with egg yolks, minced garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
Rather than make mayonnaise, I wanted to make this quick version with store-bought vegan mayonnaise. Finally, I thought it would pair well with these vegan pretzel bites.
This horseradish aioli is perfect for serving at parties, snacking, and on game day. It pairs well with pretzel bites, onion rings, fries, sandwiches, vegan crab cakes, and burgers! I never watch the Super Bowl, but I'd certainly be ready for it with this horseradish dip to go with the snacks.
This fresh vegan horseradish sauce recipe pairs well with these Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes or Baked Sweet Potato Fries!
Here are the simple ingredients you'll need to make this easy vegan Horseradish Aioli without animal products.
- Garlic - I minced one fresh garlic clove. Feel free to use more garlic if you prefer.
- Dairy-free Mayonnaise - You can make it yourself, although I usually purchase it. I used a brand that I've enjoyed for years, even before I went vegan: dairy-free and egg-free Follow Your Heart's Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise (not sponsored, just sharing something I genuinely enjoy). To keep this recipe simple, I chose not to include dairy-free sour cream.
- Prepared horseradish - I love Bubbies Prepared Horseradish, or you can use your favorite! For this recipe, I drained it, although you don't have to. You can find this product in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - I used the type with the "mother," although you can also use regular apple cider vinegar.
- Lime juice - It's not pictured, but I added some fresh lime juice to this recipe.
See the recipe card for the exact amounts.
How to make this Vegan Horseradish Aioli
This dairy-free and egg-free horseradish aioli is easy to put together; you only need 5 minutes.
As you can see from the ingredients photo, I drained the prepared horseradish, but it's not a must.
- Mince the garlic. You can do this with a chef's knife or a garlic press. Here's a helpful resource on how to mince garlic.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors meld and serve! That is all there is to it!
Variations & Substitutions
Here are a few alternatives you can try:
- Lime juice - Instead of lime juice, you can use fresh lemon juice. Do not use lemon juice concentrate.
- Apple cider vinegar - Alternatives are white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- Garlic - If you love garlic, add another clove or two. Fresh garlic can quickly get overpowering, so one is enough for me in this case! You can also try garlic powder instead. If you don't care for garlic, feel free to skip it.
- Fresh herbs - Try adding chopped fresh herbs such as basil, dill, marjoram, oregano, or parsley.
- Prepared horseradish - You can use fresh horseradish (the root vegetable) and grate it, although I haven't tried it. Start with a smaller quantity, such as one tablespoon of horseradish root. If you try it, let me know how it turns out! Or you can use Dijon mustard instead; I'd start with a teaspoon and adjust it to taste.
- Spicy - Add chili sauce or a teaspoon of hot sauce.
- Mayonnaise - If you prefer to make your mayonnaise, you can make it with soft tofu.
- Add freshly ground black pepper if you wish.
Here's the equipment you need to make this easy recipe. No food processor is necessary. You can mix this dipping sauce by hand.
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife or garlic press
- Medium bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- Glass jar or container for storage
How to serve
You can serve this horseradish aioli so many ways: with pretzels, onion rings, fries, sandwiches, artichoke hearts, vegan roast, vegan crab cakes, in a vegan steak panini, or on vegan burgers.
I think this dipping sauce would go well with pierogies and a beetroot salad; it would make a great salad dressing. If needed, thin it with water or neutral plant-based milk such as organic soy milk.
Serve with Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes, Vegan Pretzel Bites, or make Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad and replace the mayonnaise with this aioli.
Store this in the fridge in a sealed glass container for up to 5 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
If you have the time, let this horseradish aioli rest in the fridge for half an hour to develop the flavors.
If you make this recipe, please take a moment to ★★★★★ star-rate it and leave a comment below. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook, and share your creation with me! Tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
Vegan Horseradish Aioli
- chef's knife or garlic press
- Small bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish or Dijon mustard or fresh grated horseradish
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice or fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, and fine sea salt.
- Chill for 30 minutes and serve.
- Fresh herbs - Try adding one tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs such as basil, dill, marjoram, oregano, or parsley.
- Spicy - add chili sauce or a teaspoon of hot sauce.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.
This horseradish aioli is quickly becoming my favorite go-to veggie sandwich spread. Adds so much flavor!
Hi Erin, thank you for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear that this recipe is becoming a favorite!
Super yummy, love the sharpness of horseradish. Served as a condiment with plant-based air fryer nuggets. Thumbs up from all involved!
Thank you so much for your review, Irena! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this recipe.
Definitely, something unique to try. I love to serve it with some yummy bites for a party. This is a must try!
Thank you for your review! I hope you try it soon!
This aioli was sooo good! I am a huge fan of horseradish and was excited to make this! We actually used it on a sous vide chuck roast and it was delicious.
Thank you for your review of the horseradish aioli, Danielle! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Love that this is vegan as I don't do dairy or eggs but miss all those types of sauces for dipping! This aioli is delicious with some fries or as a sandwich condiment!
Hi Gina, thank you for your review and feedback! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the aioli.
I love the spicy kick in this!!! Super perfect dip for game days or parties.
Thanks for the feedback, Michelle! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe.
Yum! I love horseradish! This aioli was so easy and delicious, I will be making this all the time now!
Thank you for taking the time to rate and leave a review, Kayla. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
The aioli was so good! I had it with my favorite baked plantains and paired perfectly! Thank you!
Thank you for your review and feedback on our aioli! We are so happy to hear that it paired well with your favorite plantains.
I really like this dip with horseradishes. It has a hot zingy pop!
Thank you, Nancy! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe.
I was so happy to find this horseradish aioli recipe! I have been looking for one for forever, and this recipe was perfect!
Thank you for the kind words, Katie! I'm glad to hear my recipe was a hit!
This is going to be my new favorite aioli or even dressing! It is smooth, creamy, and perfectly spiced because of the horseradish! I love it so much!
Hi Chris, thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe. It's one of my favorites too!
Oh wow, I haven't tired horseradish aioli before but now I definitely will. The texture is amazing. I can't wait to make this.
Thank you, Natalie, I'd love it if you let me know what you think of it and update this review when you try it! Your feedback will help our readers 🙂
I haven’t had Aioli in such a long time! Oh my god, this recipe made me so happy!!
Hi Jacqui, thanks for the great review! We're so happy you enjoyed this Vegan Horseradish Aioli recipe!
i can't get enough of this sauce with my fries. SO YUMMY!
Thank you for trying our dipping sauce, Nancy! We're glad to hear you enjoyed it with your fries. Thanks for the rating and the kind words!
I love horseradish and aioli. So good together in this recipe!
Thank you, Erica!
This spread was perfect. The horseradish had the right amount of bite on our burgers!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I love horseradish and this is going to become a regular condiment at our house!! So yummy!
Hi Liz, Thanks for trying our horseradish sauce and leaving such a great review. We're glad you love it! It's one of our favorites too. 🙂