This blood orange margarita recipe is refreshing and easy to make. It is perfect for making use of the blood oranges that are available this time of year. This recipe is a great choice for anytime you want to celebrate!
I managed to find a bag of local Arizona blood oranges for two dollars, certified organic! I love blood oranges so much that l long for them when the season is past due. There is something about their amazing fragrance and taste. The flavor has a hint of raspberry, and they are deliciously sweet.
Types of blood oranges
My favorite type of blood orange is Sanguinelli, which is native to Spain. The outside is orange with red streaks, hinting at the rosiness within. The inside of the oranges is a beautiful rose color, almost magenta, that is lovely in drinks after being juiced.
Other varieties of blood orange are the Moro blood orange, which is native to Sicily, and the Tarocco, which is native to Italy. The Moro is not as sweet as the Sanguinelli, and the Tarocco is a bit sweeter than the Moro variety. If you have the opportunity, try them all and see which one is your favorite! As you may have guessed, I love the Sanguinelli. Someday I hope to try the Tarocco. How I wish I had a blood orange tree!
What you need to make the recipe
- Blanco tequila
- blood orange juice
- lime juice
- pomegranate molasses
- two coupe glasses, or margarita glasses
- a cocktail shaker
- mesh strainer (optional, for removing pulp). I did not use one.
What kind of tequila do you need?
I made this blood orange margarita recipe using Blanco tequila. If you don't already have a favorite tequila to use for making margaritas, you might find this article helpful, as I did. After reading it, I settled on purchasing one of the brands mentioned. My local grocery store had one bottle left sitting on the shelf. It was meant to be.
Substitutions for blood oranges
Blood oranges are usually in season from December through April.
If blood oranges are out of season where you live, you can use oranges such as Cara Cara, Navel or Valencia. Let me know what you think of it!
Are you looking for another cocktail recipe to try? Try my Sidecar Cocktail Recipe.
If you make this Blood Orange Margarita recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes, so I don't miss it.
Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- 4 oz Blanco tequila
- 4 oz blood orange juice fresh squeezed
- 2 oz lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- Rub the edge of each glass with lime before gently rolling the edge in Himalayan fine sea salt.
- Chill the glasses in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- While the glasses are chilling, place a cup of ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Add tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice, and pomegranate molasses.
- Shake vigorously for 10 to 20 seconds and pour it in the chilled coupes or margarita glasses. Garnish with a slice of blood orange if desired.