If the holidays are getting you in the mood for something refreshing with a unique twist, this classic Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet cocktail is just what you need to bring some holiday cheer!
Tart pomegranate juice, simple syrup, Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose gin, and zesty lime juice give this gin-based drink a perfect amount of sweet and sour—it's truly an impressive yet simple cocktail to make your holiday season even more festive.
Whether enjoyed at home or served at festive gatherings, this Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet will surely become one of your favorite winter drinks.
It’s time to get together with family and friends, relax by the fire and… sip on some delicious cocktails? Yes, please! Whether you’re having an impromptu holiday party or looking for something special to pair with your Christmas dinner, I've got just the recipe for you, this Pomegranate Gimlet cocktail.
A refreshingly different take on the classic gin-based beverage, this festive drink will give your festivities a bit of sparkle as it combines tart pomegranate juice with zesty lime juice, simple syrup, and gin – four ingredients that should always be front and center at any holiday gathering!
To make the perfect holiday cocktail, you need four simple ingredients.
- Gin - the gimlet is a gin-forward cocktail, so you'll want to use a great bottle of gin. I have been a longtime fan of Empress 1908 Gin and was excited to try their delicious new release, Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose Gin. This quality gin is distilled with nine unique botanicals, including elderflower, juniper berries, lavender, orange peel, orris root, cinnamon, and coriander. The infusion of red rose petals and black carrot achieves a stunning ruby hue and adds a touch of sweetness. Find Empress 1908 Gin near you!
- Pomegranate juice - I used unsweetened 100% fresh pomegranate juice found in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. Or you can make pomegranate juice at home with fresh pomegranates.
- Lime juice - use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best results. Before you juice the lime, slice a couple of thin slices to garnish the cocktail.
- Simple syrup - it's easy to make your own syrup; instructions are below - or you can purchase it where you purchase the gin.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose Gin - use vodka instead to make a vodka gimlet, or use another gin you love.
- Lime juice - lime juice is classic for a gimlet, although you can use lemon juice if you don't have limes on hand.
- Simple syrup - try agave syrup.
- Garnish - add a lime twist to the rim of the glass instead of garnishing with sliced limes. If you're using lemon juice instead of lime, garnish with a twist of lemon.
- Pomegranate juice - try unsweetened cranberry juice.
If you want this Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet cocktail to be a bit sweeter or sourer, adjust the amount of simple syrup and lime juice to your taste.
- Mocktail - skip the gin to make an alcohol-free beverage; replace it with sparkling water, soda water, ginger beer, or club soda.
- Pomegranate juice - try a pomegranate blueberry juice instead.
- Simple syrup - use rose-infused simple syrup instead or another flavored simple syrup of your choice. Or you can omit it if you find the cocktail sweet enough.
- Less strong - to make this cocktail less strong, replace some of the gin with pomegranate juice or sparkling water, soda water, ginger beer, or club soda.
- Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils. Try a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds for garnish.
How to make an Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet
Here are the simple steps to make this classic cocktail recipe with fresh pomegranate juice:
The Gimlet is classically stirred, but I recommend shaking this drink because of the pomegranate juice, simple syrup, and lime juice for even mixing. Then, strain it through a sieve to ensure a clear cocktail.
To make the Simple Syrup:
- Step 1: In a small pot, combine equal amounts of water and sugar.
- Step 2: Heat on medium and occasionally stir with a spatula until the sugar dissolves.
- Step 3: Remove the mixture from the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes. Let it cool, place it in a glass container, and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
For the Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet:
- Step 1: Chill two cocktail glasses in the freezer 10 minutes ahead of time.
- Step 2: Combine the gin, fresh pomegranate juice, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Step 3: Add a cup of ice and shake for 30 seconds.
- Step 4: Strain through a fine mesh sieve and pour the cocktail into the chilled coupe glasses.
- Step 5: Garnish each glass with a slice of lime.
Place the ingredients in a large pitcher to make this cocktail for a crowd. Add ice to the cocktail shaker immediately before making the cocktails. I don't recommend adding ice to the pitcher because it will dilute the drink.
- Cocktail shaker - I love this hybrid cocktail shaker because I no longer have freezing hands or leaks! The jigger is in the cap.
- Cocktail glasses such as coupe glasses, my favorite Nick and Nora glasses, or martini glasses.
This Pomegranate Gimlet cocktail is best enjoyed after it is made.
Store the simple syrup in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
It makes all the difference to use fresh, quality ingredients!
Use a quality gin; I love the botanical flavors and beautiful natural ruby color of Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose Gin.
The classic and timeless Gimlet cocktail is simple; the original recipe is made with gin and sweetened lime juice. It inspired many other cocktails like the Margarita, Daiquiri, and Sidecar. The gimlet is served straight up, chilled, without ice, in a cocktail glass, garnished with lime.
Because of the gin, it is pretty botanical and spirit-forward, so you'll want to use a quality gin. A gimlet tastes a bit tart and sweet while being perfectly balanced in flavor.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet
- 2 coupe glasses or Nick and Nora glasses, or martini glasses
For the Simple Syrup
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
For the Elderflower Rose Pomegranate Gimlet
- 4 oz Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose gin or a high-quality gin of your choice
- 3 oz pomegranate juice, fresh
- 1 oz lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 2 slices of lime
For the Simple Syrup
- In a small pot, combine the water and sugar.1 cup filtered water, 1 cup organic cane sugar
- Heat on medium and occasionally stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Let cool and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
For the Pomegranate Gimlet
- Chill 2 cocktail glasses in the freezer 10 minutes ahead of time.
- Combine the gin, pomegranate juice, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.4 oz Empress 1908 Elderflower Rose gin, 1 oz lime juice, freshly squeezed, 1 oz simple syrup
- Add a cup of ice and shake for 30 seconds. Double strain and pour into chilled coupe glasses.Ice
- Garnish each glass with a slice of lime.2 slices of lime
Resplendent Kitchen offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site as a courtesy. Although resplendentkitchen.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information from online calculators, these figures are estimates.