This delicious Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Skillet Cookie recipe is full of chocolatey goodness and is fun and easy to make. Plus, it's gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
If you have never tried a skillet cookie, you have got to try this Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Skillet Cookie! It's a giant soft cookie that's perfect for sharing. Plus, if you underbake it a little, it's gooey in the middle, and when you top it with some ice cream, and what's not to like? There's something irresistible about the crispy edges.
Sometimes I'm not in the mood to make cookies; in this case, this easy to make skillet cookie recipe saves the day! You don't need to spend any time rolling cookie dough balls and spend time alternating baking sheets.
Why you need to try this Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Skillet recipe
We enjoyed making this dessert on a rainy day and it's a crowd-pleaser! You're going to love this recipe, whether it's raining or not. This double chocolate skillet cookie is:
- chocolatey and fudgey
- satisfying and not too sweet
- indulgent, plus it's vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free
- chewy and crispy at the edges thanks to the cast iron skillet
- easy to make; you don't have to bother with rolling cookies and alternating baking pans
What you need to make this recipe:
If you don't have a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, you can use any oven-safe skillet you have, but keep in mind the edges of the chocolate chip skillet cookie will not crisp.
You can try baking this in a metal 9-inch by 9-inch pan. A glass pan can work too, but the result will not be as crispy at the edges as when using a metal pan.
The details are in the recipe below; here's a quick rundown of the ingredients.
- flaxseed meal plus water (for binding the ingredients)
- cassava flour
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- fine Celtic sea salt
- coconut oil
- organic apple sauce
- smooth peanut butter
- maple syrup
- coconut sugar
- vanilla extract
- dairy-free chocolate chips. I used mini-chips here; you can use regular size chips as well.
Refer to the recipe below for all the details. Here's a brief overview:
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease the cast-iron pan (or the pan that you are using)
- prepare the flaxseed mixture
- mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients, saving some chocolate chips for the top
- pour the batter into the cast-iron pan and bake
- enjoy while it's still warm, preferably with vegan vanilla ice cream. It's so good right out of the skillet!
- add nuts such as walnuts or pecans if you like a bit of crunch
- try vegan white chocolate chips, which still make this recipe a double chocolate skillet cookie
- try almond butter instead of peanut butter
- you can bake this in a 7-inch skillet; monitor your baking time. The batter will be a little thicker. I don't recommend using a 10-inch skillet because the batter will be too thin.
Looking for more dessert recipe ideas? You may want to try these popular desserts:
- Vegan Creamy Coconut Popsicles
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Cobbler
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
If you make this Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Skillet Cookie recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. You can follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @resplendentkitchen and hashtag #resplendentkitchenrecipes.
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Skillet Cookie
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- ⅓ cup organic apple sauce
- ⅓ cup smooth peanut butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 pint vanilla vegan ice cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350R. Lightly grease a 9-inch cast iron pan with coconut oil. Mix the ground flaxseed with water with a fork or small whisk. Let rest for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cassava flour, cacao powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, applesauce, peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the flaxseed and water mixture until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the half of the chocolate chips, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared skillet, lightly smoothing the top, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until just set in the center. Remove and allow to cool for abut 10 minutes, then serve warm with vegan vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Store leftovers covered at room temperature for the first day. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.