Perfect Vegan Pesto
This is a perfect vegan pesto recipe to use up a surplus of basil. This easy pesto comes together in less than 20 minutes. Enjoy it with pasta and much more!
- 3 cups fresh basil
- ½ cup pine nuts lightly toasted and cooled
- 2 large cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional but recommended
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Toast the pine nuts in the oven for approximately 8 minutes. After they turn slightly golden take them out of the oven to cool.
Rinse the basil in cold water and dry it, using a dish towel.
Place the basil, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast in the work bowl of the food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse several times until mixed. Scape down the sides as needed. Add olive oil in a steady stream and continue pulsing until it is combined. Use immediately, or refer to notes for storage instructions.
- As noted above, the nutritional yeast is optional but I recommend it for the cheesy flavor. The pesto is delicious without it also.
- If not using the immediately, place in an airtight glass container for up to 3 days.
- Pesto freezes well. Place it in ice cube trays, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and store in the freezer for up to one month.
- This recipe is inspired by The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
Serving: 8servingsCalories: 127kcalCarbohydrates: 3gFat: 12.3gSaturated Fat: 1.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.8gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 1.9mgPotassium: 116mgFiber: 1.3gSugar: 0.5gVitamin A: 839IUVitamin C: 5.4mgCalcium: 30mgIron: 1.4mg